Entrepreneurship is a battle of endurance. In between the high peaks of achievement, there are some deep valleys of failure and setback. Moments of self-doubt and fear. Moments where maintaining an entrepreneurial spirit is a struggle. What makes entrepreneurs unique is their response to these challenges? Their positivity.
“If you think you can do a thing or think you can’t do a thing, you’re right.”Henry Ford
Entrepreneurs have the ability to persevere through and come out stronger, more motivated — more successful — on the other side. How do they do this? By shifting their mindset. By knowing that they can.
Since Guildstreet started we’ve had our share of ups and downs. I learned early on that the key to overcoming setbacks and challenges was to shift my mindset and focus on the positives. Each situation brings knowledge, opportunities and potential outcomes and by concentrating on those, I was more likely to be setting myself up for success.
Now, when Guildstreet team members meet with current clients, prospective clients or any personal or professional friends, we talk about possibilities, and how a view of possibilities can impact our performance and outcomes.
Positivity vs. Negativity
Often, I start by outlining the different outcomes positive versus negative mindsets have.
- A negative mindset tends to limit thinking, undervalues achievements and generates a variety of poor outcomes and negative feelings. Negative feelings, in turn, can lead to lack of confidence and underperformance.
- A positive mindset, on the other hand, tends to encourage a better outlook, increases energy and improves productivity.: a winning formula for success. Positivity can help you turn a bad situation into a good one in a much shorter period of time and with better end results. And best of all … a mindset of positivity generates ideas!
Consider a setback like the COVID shutdown. How has your business responded? Were you discouraged? Ready to give up and lose faith? Or did you adapt to t serve your customers? Did you identify ideas that will make your business more resilient in the future?
Growth vs. Fixed
The second important mindset that I share with others is growth versus fixed. A growth mindset views the opportunities ahead as limitless. A fixed mindset is limited by the current state of things. (You can tell from this section that my favourite Christmas present is “Mindset: The New Psychology of Success” by Carol S. Dweck!)
- A growth mindset allows entrepreneurs to think big and push forward. They take a failure and use it as a chance to demonstrate their resilience and determination: the ingredients they will need to overcome failure and reach new heights. You will recognize this mindset when you read stories of successful entrepreneurs who changed adversity into triumph.
- An entrepreneur with a fixed mindset suffers failure and gives up. A fixed mindset views the market and political environment as limited and shrinking; something they have no control over, so they don’t bother trying.
What kind of leader are you? Do you encourage people to keep trying and do you support them? How about listening and learning from everyone? Do you lead by example with motivation to push through and achieve something new?
Tips to Shift Your Mindset
Finally, there are three additional tips I share to help entrepreneurs and small business owners to maintain a positive and growth mindset:
- Don’t limit your goals. Limited thinking leads to limited ideas, which stunt growth and performance. Think of Henry’s Ford’s quote about a ‘can’ versus ‘can’t’ attitude.
- Be deliberate and take action. If you’re not deliberate about taking actions to achieve your goals, it’s as good as not having any goals at all.
- Execute with excellence. You are the best. Demonstrate that to your customers by providing them with their best choice.
Need more inspiration? I’d love to chat and help you and your business reach new heights. Contact our team today!